We’re pleased to let you know where we’re at with planning for the 2020 ONZ National Foot-O Championships. Further to Orienteering NZ’s recent major events update, Orienteering Wellington would like to present our plan for the 2020 Nationals.
Our key considerations in developing this plan have been to ensure the safety of competitors and to follow government guidelines on gatherings and social distancing.
How it works
- If all of New Zealand is at COVID-19 Alert Level 1, or lower, we will run Nationals under our Level 1 plan.
- If any part of New Zealand is at a COVID-19 Alert Level between 1 and 2, we will run Nationals under our Level 2 plan.
- If either Manawatū or Wellington is at a COVID-19 Alert Level greater than 2, we will not run an event.
If Manawatū or Wellington is at level 2 or lower, and any other part of New Zealand is at a COVID-19 Alert Level greater than 2, we will consider running a multi-day event over Labour Weekend. This won’t be the Nationals as such as some competitors will not be able to travel to attend, but will use many of the same high quality maps and courses.
Given the uncertainty around when and where Alert Levels might change, Orienteering Wellington will confirm which Level Plan we will use at the end of September. See our decision criteria for more details.
We realise these are uncertain times and we’re lucky to be able to plan an A-level event at all. To help alleviate the uncertainty for competitors, full refunds for entry fees will be available up until the closing of entries. If the event takes place using our Level 2 plan, the relay entry will be refunded.
In line with government health advice, please do not attend if you feel unwell. Competitors who need to withdraw due to illness will get a full refund of their entry fees.
Unfortunately, Orienteering Wellington cannot take liability for any loss associated with travel or accommodation cancellation.
All previous embargoes remain in place.
Entries are open now, and you’ll need to enter by midnight on Friday 9 October.